A Dothan businessman taken into custody following the shooting of a man he said was trying to rob his store has been released after questioning by police.
"This does not mean the investigation is over," police Cpl. Maurice Eggleston said late Tuesday. "We'll continue to look at this case but, as of right now, no charges have been filed."
The shooting took place earlier in the day at a decades old shopping complex, Plaza Two, located along Reeves Street (U.S. 431) near Ross Clark Circle.
"I heard a big boom," Amber Barnes said. She was getting her hair done at a solon across the parking lot from where the shooting occurred. "We saw a guy backing away from the truck real quickly like he was scared." That person has been identified by police as the shooter.
A short time later, the man was taken away in a police cruiser where investigators interrogated him for what's believed to have been more than two hours. The initial belief is the shooting was justified but the case will remain under scrutiny for an undetermined amount of time. The name of neither man has been released by police.
The owner of the solon, Mr. B's, said he hates to see lives affected by such incidents. However, Robert Merritt defends the actions of the shooter. "The young man, he was defending himself," he said. Police have not said whether the man shot had a gun himself.
Even if no charges are filed by police, the district attorney's office could opt to take the case to a grand jury to determine if the shooting was justified.