- The Taxpayer Advocate Service is your voice at the IRS.
- TAS assistance is free and tailored to meet your needs.
The Taxpayer Advocate Service (TAS) is an independent organization within the IRS that helps taxpayers who are experiencing unresolved federal tax problems. Here are 10 things every taxpayer should know about TAS:
3. You may be eligible for TAS help if you've tried to resolve your tax problem through normal IRS channels and have gotten nowhere, or if you are facing (or your business is facing) an immediate action from the IRS that will adversely affect you.
4. The worst thing you can do is nothing at all!
5. TAS helps individual and business taxpayers whose tax problems are causing financial difficulty, which could include the cost of hiring professional representation, such as a tax attorney.
6. If you qualify for TAS help, you'll be assigned one advocate who will do everything possible to get your problem resolved.
7. There is at least one local Taxpayer Advocate office in every state, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico. You can obtain the number of your local Taxpayer Advocate from your local phone book, in Pub. 1546, Taxpayer Advocate Service - Your Voice at the IRS and on the IRS website at IRS.gov/advocate. You can also call TAS toll-free at 1-877-777-4778.
8. As a taxpayer, you have rights that the IRS must abide by when working with you. Our tax toolkit website at www.TaxpayerAdvocate.irs.gov can help you understand these rights.
9. TAS also handles tax problems that may have a broad impact on more than just one taxpayer. You can report these "systemic" issues to TAS through the Systemic Advocacy Management System at IRS.gov/advocate.
Adopt a Pet 5-24-2013
The Dothan Animal Shelter and Save a Pet need your help in placing lovable animals into good homes.
Video Extra: Pool Safety As Summer Begins
An average of 390 children drown each year in the United States, most younger than 5, according to two new reports.
California Teen Cuts Cell Phone Charging In Half
Waiting for your smartphone to charge may be a thing of the past -- thanks to a high school student.
Video Extra: Health Minute - Fit For Summer
Memorial Day weekend is just around the corner, the unofficial kick-off of the summer season.
Jury Deadlocked On Arias Sentencing
Jodi Arias will not be put to death -- at least not yet.
Plane Parts Fall Out Of The Sky Near Atlanta Landing On Home
Federal authorities are investigating why pieces of a 747 cargo plane crashed into the woman's house Sunday afternoon.
Roby Votes to Approve Keystone Pipeline
President Obama "standing in the way" of major jobs project.
Animal Tracks for 5-22-2013
This weeks Animal Tracks features some very lovable animals who are in need of good homes.
Wallace Honors Spring 2013 Nursing Students
Wallace Community College recently conferred credentials upon spring 2013 graduates of the associate degree and practical nursing programs at the Dothan Civic Center. The graduates...
Sessions Remarks On Coalition Letter, Growing Opposition To Gang Of Eight's Proposal
U.S. Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-AL), a senior member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, issued a statement regarding today's letter from a broad coalition of national...